Friday, February 14, 2014

February 14, 2014

Growing up, I always knew my dad was big and strong.  His outward appearance gave the impression of a "tough guy", which he could be when the situation warranted it, but most of the time he was a big teddy bear. Especially for us kids.  He was never the best at saying he loved us, but he had an amazing talent for showing us how much we meant to him.

I remember getting a card and some candy from Dad every year on Valentine's day when I was a kid.  For many years, the candy was a box of pecan turtles.  I remember the first bite of my very first valentine turtle.  I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever eaten!  But I never told Dad.  And every year I'd get another box.  Over time I learned to love those darn things.  Now, all these years later, they are one of my favorite candies, and every time I eat one I think of my dad and smile!

A few years ago, when I moved to Loveland and was close to Mom and Dad again, the Valentines from Dad started again too.  He carried the tradition on to my daughter as well, and I know how very special that was for her.

Those little tokens of his love meant so much to me over the years...and I will forever cherish the memories they created.

My last valentine from Dad (2013)...




I love you too, Dad!  Happy Valentine's Day <3

No comments:

Post a Comment